Friday, September 9, 2011

Paint Hard! Eat Hard! Drink Hard!


Dinner Time
So I have been working, drinking and eating hard here at CAMAC in France the last couple of days. Every night we gather for dinner at 7:00, on this particular night Vishwa cooked us an authentic indian meal, it was to die for.  The residence at CAMAC are from all over the world, so our evenings are filled with interesting conversation. 


15 Euro!! Heart
Today I biked into Nogent Sur-Seine along the Seine 5km.  I was on a mission for wine, cheese, beer and baquette (all things good for you). To my delight I got all these things for 15 euros!!! I even got a french Macaroon from a local bakery, the bakeries are absolutely amazing here. 


Portrait based on the interview of Michelle Classen



Now that I have arrived, I have the opportunity to focus on my painting and the business side of art. Although, now here, I have to adjust and get used to all this time to myself, as Marnay is in the middle of farmland on the Seine River with no stores, I will definitely have a new rhythm to my everyday life. The purpose of the residency is to have the time to create art and I will finally have that in France. I will hopefully be inspired by the French culture as well. 

The body of work that I proposed to CAMAC was to work on mixed media female portraits and figurative work. I am basing my portraits on a series of interviews that I have had between Canadian women as well as women that I meet in France and the figure drawings for some warm ups and hand eye practice. In France I will look into why women live where they live, how they got to be there and their family info structures. I am also studying their female relationships with friends, family and how they communicate with one another. So far my interviews have been extremely captivating, I am hoping to combine the audio interview media with the visual art into a final piece for exhibition.  The painting above is based off of the interview of Michelle Classen, Lloydminster Sk.

I am missing everyone!! 
Love,
Brandi






3 comments:

  1. Really......MOI? Lovely and I'm honored to be the first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, MOI? I am honored to be the first!!!

    ReplyDelete