Saturday, July 9, 2011

I hope you find what you are looking for Project/It's in the Journey

For those who are tuning into my blog for the first time let me tell you a bit about the project I am participating in. I was sent to Montreal on July first to search for a person that I have never met and know nothing about.  I have to look for this other person in Montreal in a number of creative ways, while doing so I will document my time and expeditions. So far I have been hitting the hot spots in Montreal where I think the most people are and where this person could possibly be.  I have been giving out original drawings (which people are happy to take) with my project information on the back. having received the gift of art from me people are more than willing to here about the project I am working on. Everyone has been very kind thus far and given me their unique advice on the beautiful city of Montreal. I am beginning to think I may miss it here when I have to go home on the 31st of July. The project is run by an Albertan artist. At the end of the project I will be posting all the information about his show.
I guess we shall begin from yesterday morning. I ambitiously began my day with a run/hike in Mont Royal Park, I would call it more walking up hill, but who is counting. It was a lovely hot and humid day but I made it to the top to view the city.  

Afterward I headed to the Opp Gallery to chat with my new friend Anjelo to chat about promoting my project "I hope you find what you are looking for". Anjelo is allowing me the opportunity to do performance drawing on Friday the 15th at 7:00 at the Opp Gallery 2110 St Laurent! I hope this will be one major step to getting people to notice this project in motion!! So be there or be SQUARE! 

That friday evening my friend Andrew invited Hali and I to a pot luck at his friends place,   I found out it was actually a birthday for Meredith (men). It was a wonderful evening, with new people to meet a and chat with. I was surrounded with wonderful company, people my age, an artsy kind of group. The night was quite enchanting sitting on the patio, the photo to the left is of  of Hali and Andrew enjoying the evening. It began to rain and we took the soiree inside, we waited until about 1am when the storm finally let up and Andrew and I biked home from Le Platue.  I didn't tell everyone how I met Andrew actually Hali and I were walking through a park off St Denis from a music show and we started talking to this group of people hanging out by the fountain.  We got talking and I told everyone about the project I am working on, took their polaroids. We sat down for a bit, exchanged information, Andrew actually fell into the fountain, and really it's all uphill from there. I received a friendly email from Andrew and he has been a kind friend ever since. 

This morning the plan was to go to the flea market but by the time I made it up to Le Platue through the saturday morning traffic it was about time for lunch. Andrew told me that I must try Patati Patata. It was so incredible, I am salivating just recalling my lunch. I had a tofu burger with home fries and salad. Their sauces were AMAZING along with everything else, oh how a place can take something so simple... I had some homemade iced tea to accompany my meal. AND believe it or not the total cost for my best meal in montreal thus far 7.12$. Needless to say I will be back!
This afternoon I attended a figure drawing class which is held monthly in Montreal at the Mainline Theatre on St Laurent. I learned about the class from a girl at the  Juliet et Chocolate.  I had the whole classes attention to tell them about the project I am participating in on the break. I did not find Waldo at the drawing class but I am not giving up no no no, this adventure is far too fulfilling. 
 What I find amazing about Montreal and this project is that everywhere I go, no matter where I meet people, wonderful people, people who are so willing to hear about me as well as tell me about themselves. For example I was on the street today biking home for some art supplies and I met a man from Paris designing sneakers in Montreal, Laurent and Andy (Andy does T-shirts).  They gave me a list of cafe's to eat and places to meet people and work on my project. I am simply everyday in aw of how much help you can get, how many friends you can make as long as you are willing and keep an open mind. I am incredibly  grateful for the push and opportunity to be more of an extrovert by working on this project. This has been the most fulfilling voyage of my life, I have grown more in one week then I have in 2 years. Maybe I am being a redundant optimist, but I must ask of you all (the few who actually read this blog) to note: Once just once in your life step out of your everyday shell, go to a place where you have never been, meet new people, talk to the people next to you, walk into a random event, play everyday by ear, EAT, drink, and just remember to drink it all in.
Here are some of the polaroids I have taken of the people I have given my art to for the project, and have had the pleasure of conversing with. 


This is my agenda, note there are a ton of things cross off!

Good night all, I hope you have enjoyed my ramblin' song.
LOVE
Brandi

4 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your adventures, Brandi! Thanks for sharing with all of us here at home...
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear that you are having a great time! Montreal is such a great city to be doing something like this, keep me informed of all your experiences there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Brandi
    Dawn Hames, Lloydminster

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandi
    We admire your spirit and your courage to go out and "just meet people"...and accept the out come of your meetings at face value. That takes courage and confidence. We wish you the very best of luck in finding What you are Looking For!...Take Care....Murray and Carol....Love you..

    ReplyDelete