Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I hope you find what you are looking for project/Get lost in Montreal

For those who are tuning into my blog for the first time let me tell you a bit about the project I am participating in. I was sent to Montreal on July first to search for a person that I have never met and know nothing about.  I have to look for this other person in Montreal in a number of creative ways, while doing so I will document my time and expeditions. So far I have been hitting the hot spots in Montreal where I think the most people are and where this person could possibly be.  I have been giving out original drawings (which people are happy to take) with the project information on the back and my blog. Having received the gift of art from me people are more than willing to here about the project I am working on. Everyone has been very kind thus far and given me their unique advice on what to do or see in the beautiful city of Montreal. I am beginning to think I may miss it here when I have to go home on the 31st of July. The project is run by an Albertan artist. At the end of the project I will be posting all the information about his show.
Today I had the pleasure of getting lost (well kind of more like wandering) in the Mile End area of Montreal, as recommended to me by my peers. I was told to go to Bagels etc. someone suggested to go because it's Leonard Cohen's hang out.  What an adorable area there are a ton of cute places to chill and have coffee or wine.  I can see why so many people enjoy living in the Mile end
 I set off today to Le Platue to be interviewed by Nightlife.ca Magazine for the blog of the week feature,. I was interviewed by Mathieu, he was very sweet. I had the opportunity to discuss my Montreal endeavours with him (I am still amazed by the fact that anyone is interested).  Mathieu took me to Crudessence which is a "raw food" place and I had the best smoothie of my life and a dessert, he and I were amazed at that you can even make dessert with pure raw foods. At Crudessence I saw a girl Nina that I met a couple of weeks ago and I have to state the fact that socially Montreal for me is becoming smaller with the more people I meet. I feel that I might be finding the other person sooner rather than later. Hard to say that too because the people I am socializing with are around my age and this person could be a lot older than me. Tomorrow Mathieu is interviewing me on CISM radio around 10:00 am. So be sure to tune in. 




While covering the Mile End area along with Le Platue I passed out fliers that invite everyone to the performance and project promotion at the Opp Galerie et Boutique on Friday night at 7:00. I figured out pretty quick that I really don't like passing out fliers, so I took to placing them in all the indoor stands at the coffee shops. 


While walking with my bike an American couple  pulled their car beside me and asked me for directions, I helped them with my google map. While conversing with the two of them they ask me if I am from Montreal and I responded "no I am from Saskatchewan", the lady proceeded to tell me how good my english was... I struggle with it sometimes, being that it is the only language I speak, I hope it was ok?




This evening I ate at Robin Des Bois which in english is Robin Hood, they have an acapella band on right now and at 8 there is a women who plays the trumpet coming on. It is a nice atmosphere here and I appreciate the whole concept behind the restaurant. Robin Des Bois Restaurant is a non profit organization that has 5 local charities that they support. On Wednesday night there is live musicians that volunteer to play and I can see why the food here is amazing. Tonight there are 3 musicians a pianist, trumpet player as well as a vocalist they are phenomenal! Oh life is just so wonderful! The volunteers and owners here are very kind. Behind me there are 2 women who write for the Lonely Planet, I hope they had an enjoyable experience and write good things!


Alright I just got another gig! I am volunteer drawing at Robin des Bois tomorrow night at 7:30 until 9:30, this will be so fun!! Perfect another activity to promote this project!!


Cheers to everyone! have a wonderful night!
Love,
Brandi

2 comments:

  1. cool idea. what happens if/when you find find them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We phone the person who is running the project and they come with a photographer and document it all. It is more about the two individuals journey through Montreal and the special connections we make with others.

    ReplyDelete